The Birds and Other Stories Book Review

 


The Birds and Other Stories by Daphne du Maurier published by Virago Press

The Birds and Other Stories is a collection of six short stories, all with an element of nature involved, some also include the themes of revenge, consequences to actions, or the role of women in a post world war 2 world.

The Birds itself is my favourite Hitchcock film. However I found the original story, as often is the case with something that has been adapted, to be even better. There is a real sense of menace throughout the story, and the feeling that the events could truly happen makes it easier to identify with the characters. I wouldn't recommend this story for anyone with even a slight phobia of birds though, maybe just skip to the next story.

Of the other five stories The Apple Tree and The Old Man stand out as fantastic tales that I will keep coming back to, though there honestly isn't a bad story in the collection, they are all great reads.

The Apple Tree for me, is a tale of slow burn revenge, and a caution to not take anyone for granted.

Where-as The Old Man has, I think, the best last paragraph plot twist I have ever read.

Both Daphne du Maurier fans, and fans of dark, creepy tales will alike enjoy this little collection. In the past few months Daphne du Maurier has rapidly become my second favourite author ( second only to Emily Bronte) this book has gone further to confirm my opinion.

Have you read The Birds? What are your thoughts on the changes made in the film?

Comments