The Best Books of My Year so Far




Hi there,

so far this year I think I have been very lucky with the books that I have read, there have been none that I've hated, and so many very good ones. So it's been hard to pick out a small selection of my favourites, but i think this little collection reflects the kind of books I've been reading this year, and are a mix of old and new. In no particular order here we go;

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier published by Virago Press


This modern classic is an intriguing tale of paranoia and perceptions. It follows a young bachelor by the name of Philip Ashley who has been under the care and guidance of his cousin Ambrose from an early age. However Ambrose marries and this story follows what happens when Philip's cousin is no longer a confirmed bachelor like himself, and how he deals with the sudden death of Ambrose. How will he react when he meets his cousin Rachel?

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern published by Vintage books


I feel like most people have at least heard of this book, if they haven't already read it. It tells the tale of a circus which is completely black and white, that appears from no where without warning and is only open at night. It is truly a magical read, which takes place in the late 19th Century. It is pure escapism and I recommend it to anyone who wants to be whisked away to a place and time not our own.

Pine by Francine Toon published by Doubleday


Set in a remote village in the highlands, this follows a young girl named Lauren who lives with her Dad after the disappearance of her mother. Lauren wants answers to what happened to her mother and the reader joins her as she struggles with the problems a close knit small community can cause. I really enjoyed this book, I really hope it gets adapted for film or television because I think it would be amazing to watch.

Last but not least we have;

The Doll Factory by Elizabeth Macneal published by Picador


A beautifully written historical fiction, set at the time of the great exhibition, London 1850. I am a massive fan of anything Victorian, and this book totally immersed me in that era. It is filled with twists and turns, there is heartbreak and hope. I loved this book so much I didn't want it to end. I was also lucky enough to get the beautiful Waterstones edition.

What have been your favourites reads of the year so far? Have you read any of the above, if so what did you think of them? Comment below.

Comments