Books I want to read before the end of the year


At this time every year I love to read the spookiest books I can, not just for Halloween, but also up to Christmas too. I think there is nothing better than a creepy tale when it's dark and gloomy outside. Here are some of the books I'm hoping to get to before the year ends;



The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I've wanted to read this one since University, and I'm very much looking forward to finally reading this gothic classic in the next few months.


The Fall of the House of Usher and Other Writings by Edgar Allan Poe

I've never read any Edgar Allan Poe, and I feel I am greatly missing out, this edition collects together various works by him including The Pit and the Pendulum and The Tell Tale Heart.



The Familiars by Stacey Halls

Set in Lancashire during the time of the Pendle witch trails this historical fiction is a must for me, just on that information alone.


The Face in the Glass The Gothic Tales of Mary Elizabeth Braddon

A collection of supernatural short stories, I'm looking forward to being creeped out by these.


Haunted Houses Edited by Andrew Smith

This brings together two stories by Charlotte Riddell, An Uninhabited House and Fairy Water both featuring ghostly characters. I love the cover of this book too.

Have you read any of these books? What are your favourite Halloween/end of year reads? comment below


Happy reading


Fiona



 

Comments