October Wrap Up


This month has been a busier month for reading. I thought at first that I'd be reading a lot of ghost and creepy stories, with it being Halloween month, and that is what I usually do in October. But I found that as the month went on I really didn't want to read as much creepy stuff, and so just picked up the stuff that I felt drawn to.

I started the month with finishing a library book, which I didn't get chance to photograph,

A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
This is a YA retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Told from the duel perspective of Harper, a teenager in present day, and Rhen a prince in a different realm who needs help breaking a curse. Harper was very likable and I felt sorry for her throughout the story as she was torn by her need to be with her family, but her reality of being trapped in a different realm to them. I really enjoyed most of the book, though I wasn't 100% sold on the ending.

In a change to that I then read,

Black Markers by Jan-Andrew Henderson
A short history book of the old graveyard and cemeteries in Edinburgh. I found it to be very informative, and it really built up a picture of Edinburgh's past. It included nice little anecdotes, as well as lots of photos. I highly recommend for anyone who is interested in Edinburgh, or just graveyards in general.

Next up an audio book,

Howls Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
I have watched the Studio Ghibli recently and my husband advised me that there were quite a few differences from the book, so I decided to give the audio book a listen. I enjoyed it greatly, as it's such a fun story, and yes it is quite different from the film in many ways, though the film is enjoyable too. I wish I'd known about this book when I was a young kid, I actually don't know how I didn't come across it, though as a class we were all obsessed with Roald Dahl and Michael Morpurgo, so that could explain it.

For a little bit of spookiness I then read;

The Face in the Glass The Gothic Tales of Mary Elizabeth Braddon
I've had this book a year of two and thought it was about time I read it. The Ghost's Name and Good Lady Ducayne were stand out stories for me, I really didn't see the twist coming in The Ghost's Name, but maybe that's just me. Many stories are focused on the foreshadowing of death, but not all. I think this collection is great for people who like creepy stories, but don't want to be full out scared. 

I then moved on to a book which I thought would also be creepy, but was different than expected;

The Glass Woman by Caroline Lea
Another book told from duel perspectives, this was a very interesting work of historical fiction, with an element of magical realism. I wrote a book review on it which I will link if you are interested to read it. https://littlecottageofbooks.blogspot.com/2020/10/the-glass-woman-book-review.html

The next couple of books I got in a YA box from A Box of Stories, which I treated myself to, I covered them in my last blog, so I'll just give the briefest mention to them here, they are;

Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart
The first book I have read from this author, I'll be reading more work from them in the future.

Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson
An enjoyable read, just the thing for a bit of escapism.

Finally I read the following short story collection;

Dark Tales by Shirley Jackson
I couldn't let Halloween go by without reading abit of Shirley Jackson. This is a great little collection of her tales. The Honeymoon of Mrs Smith and The Bus stand out for me. I just love Shirley Jacksons' writing style and this book did not disappoint.

So that is everything I read/listened to in October, what books did you read? Have  you read any of the above, if so what are your thoughts on them, please comment below,

Happy reading

Fiona


 

Comments